Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Getting back to it

Over on my writing blog (yeah, it's a writer thing... a blog for writing, a blog for running, a blog for cooking and a blog about biking... I'm that kind of a Masshole), I wrote about my thoughts on what happened at the Boston Marathon and how I need to stop fearing getting injured while running.  I mentioned I was going to wear my "pun" shirt this year to Hill and Back.  Getting dressed I realized I bought the wrong shirt, I bought this one:



The back has a shamrock with 26.2 in the middle.  Not one I would normally buy as I've never run 26.2 miles in one shot in my life.

I now have a goal.  I'm also betting someone over at Asics is like, "Um.... yeah.  I didn't mean it that way," as they look at their design.

So I turned on the Nike+, set it for 15 minutes and headed out the door to run up the hill outside my house.  (This is the up hill both ways route as the hill crests in the middle.)  I cued up my Angry Irish Run playlist and got the following:



No Rest for the Wicked by Ramshackle Army
Tessie by the Dropkick Murphys
The Rotten Hand by Flatfoot 56
Selfish Man by Flogging Molly
Amazing Grace by Flatfoot 56

Again I wonder if iPods have an emotional algorithm built in because each song hit its mark exactly.  Better than that, I ran, that's right RAN the whole time, all 16:56 minutes for a mile and a quarter.  It's a first step and my only note on the Nike+ record is "We have nothing to fear but fear itself."

One day I will turn right on Hereford and left on Boylston, I know that now and grabbing the wrong shirt off the rack was the little thing to tell me so.

No comments: