Sunday, March 04, 2007

Up the Hill

I wanted to run outside today. It's March and I want to reclaim outdoors after last Sunday - so I figured I'd go for a couple of miles on Heartbreak Hill to celebrate that spring is around the corner.

Unfortunately I no longer have the mental checklist I did last December - primarily my inhaler. Running outdoors around or slightly below the freezing mark isn't a problem if I have it with me, but when I don't you get runs like today where I was did fine for the first 3/4's of a mile and then my chest began to tighten... which is when I realized I forgot something.

Not wanting to end up in trouble later, instead of pushing myself I just turned around, walked back to the car and headed home. It wasn't a failed run, more of a reminder that I have a checklist and I need to run through it before walking out the door. Now that I've remembered that piece of information it won't be long before I'm up early, out the door and going for long stretches up the hill and back again to start the day.

1 comment:

GB said...

Very smart to cut that run short!
I enjoy reading your blog, especially when you reference Heartbreak Hill. I am getting sooooo excited to run Boston!