Wednesday, October 03, 2012

Running on a full tank

I looked up at the calendar and realized it's October.

Say what?!

Last month flew by and I'm still feeling sooooo behind in my work. (Did you know PE teachers have paperwork?  I didn't before, but now I do.)  I had to drop my Monday destination deck work outs but I'm still showing up on Wednesdays and Fridays.  I've been rocking the PE position with the kids for the past month and I'm up to my eyebrows in course work.

There are big changes in my life that are really small changes that are adding up.  For example, everyday I pack a salad for lunch.  I fill the container with lettuce and broccoli or sunrise slaw mix then toss in a 1/2 oz of chopped nuts (usually pecans) and 1/2 oz of craisins (dried cranberries).  A little raspberry vinaigrette, a piece of fruit and I'm good to go.  Now that it's getting colder, I'm adding a cup of soup as well.

I also ride my bike to and from school every day I can.  It's only a couple miles a day, but it's 10 miles I work my body instead of driving.  I'm working on sneaking in an extra servings of veggies or fruit a day - an apple for a snack, a veggie omelet, sweet potato on my grilled cheese (well, that's Roxy's doing, but it's all good.... wicked good).

You get the point: never underestimate the power of little tweaks here and there.

So yes, I am getting up before the sun to get an abbreviated workout in on Wednesdays and Fridays.  It's OK, I'm getting it in.  This week I'll start adding running back in on the weekend ends.  Every morning I haul my backside out of bed in the dark, I know it's one more thing I can do.  The journey of a thousand miles starts with a single step and all that happy rhetorical, inspirational nonsense and such.  In the end, it's up to you to get your own arse out of bed in the morning and shoot down the excuses.

No comments: