Thursday, June 07, 2007

Two Good Miles

Two miles is not a lot these days. After a year of running, finishing a couple of 10k's and a couple of 5 milers - what's 2 miles?

It's a sign of a rebuilt base and renewed hope.

After rolling my ankle Saturday, I've been taking it easy and keeping it rested. I decided I'd only go for a couple of miles and take it slow. So I took off for a run through the neighborhood and running trail while Stevie Wonder crooned in my ear.

The first test was the uphill in the neighborhood and things felt good, so I kept going. The downhill felt good too. Never once did the ankle make itself known... again all good signs. By the time I got to the trail, I was feeling like I could keep going for a while, but I didn't want to over do it.

In the end, I did 2 miles at a 12:04 pace - again, pretty good and overall was happy with my run (in case the excessive use of the word "good" didn't tip you off).

Last night was Gazelle Boy's graduation. I never thought I'd get weepy over something like that but there were a couple of moments where I thought I was going to cry. In true Gazelle Boy form, as they called the kids up for their diplomas, he removed the mortar board and replace it with his pirate hat. When he approached the line of officials, he saluted each one of them - saying to the principal with his best Sean Connery accent, "It was a pleasure serving under your command M...." Even from where we were, you could see her laughing.

So he's officially a college boy now and, for now, I couldn't be happier.

3 comments:

GB said...

Congrats to Gazelle Boy! His whole life awaits. :-)

Glad your ankle is better and that you got through that run in good form. You were smart not to push it even though you felt you could've. Take care, Pika!

Laufenweg said...

ahhh...sniff.... congratulations on your boy's graduation. :-)

glad your ankle is behaving.

vanessa40 said...

Hi,
I'm glad your ankle is better. I had some knee problem earlier in the week but thankfully i'm better too.
I'm glad to have joined your weightloss group on Runner's World :)