Friday, July 13, 2012

Let your colors burst

'Cause baby you're a firework
come on and show them what you're worth
make 'em go "Oh oh oh"
as you shoot across the sky-sky-sky

There are days when music can really inspire a run.  Today was one of those days where the music and the run all synced up nicely and one of the songs that did it was Katy Perry's song "Firework."

We all have days when self-esteem is at a low and the "I can't do this" starts to kick in.  Recently, as I struggle to finish up classes (and everything else on my plate), I sometimes find myself overwhelmed.  I will sit for a period of time playing puzzle games: solitaire, tetris, word puzzles, mancala... you name it; as I sort through the checklists in my mind.  Those are the days when I need a run more than ever but finding the motivation to get dressed and get out there.  I am that plastic bag drifting in the wind on those days - which seem to be more frequent as some of the the assignments feel more and more pointless.

Recently I've used the motivation of the November Project to keep myself in motion.  Last week and this week I showed up to run the stairs at Harvard Stadium.  Today I made it to Summ.it Road in Brookline to do hill repeats.  It's a steep, steep hill and my goal was to get one good up and down in.

Then Katy Perry broke through.  Like all songs, there is that one line that jumps out in those moments, in this time it was "you just gotta ignite the light and let it shine."

That little line was enough to make me ring the pole at the bottom and shoot back up to the top.  Running 30 seconds, walking 60, running 30, walking 60... until I got to the top and then run back down again.  Two up and backs.  Boom, boom, boom.

Next Friday the goal will be 3 up and backs.  Today was a reminder to myself that I can do this and I'm stronger than I sometimes feel.  Between now and Wednesday I'll get another run in because I'm strong enough to keep this going.

No comments: