Friday, July 20, 2012

uphill, downhill, lather, rinse, repeat

A haiku for the day:

What would be our sign?
Crazy runners in the road!
(we make this look good)

The hill we do repeats on Friday mornings rises 317 feet over the course of about 1/3 of a mile.  It's a steep grade and making it up the hill can be tough.

This week the goal was 3 hill repeats and it looked doubtful at first.  I went to the Warped Tour yesterday and wore flip-flops most of the day.  My left instep hates me and my calves aren't happy.  I wasn't sure if I'd make it this morning but pushed myself out the door.

I got to the hill and told myself: "I'll walk up the hill and run down it and see what happens."  At the bottom of the hill after the first round, I thought, "I can match last week's 2 up & backs."  One step at a time: right foot, left foot; I made it to the top and ran down.  I wasn't sure if I had a 3rd in me, but I told myself that I could make it to a set of traffic cones half way up.  Then it was making it to the summit, which was in sight.... which was in sight.... which was - hey, why does the summit keep moving?  Oh wait, there it is!

I averaged around a 15 minute mile, finishing the 3 repeats in around 36 minutes.

My instep felt much better with the support of my shoes.  Looking at my 5 workouts with November Project so far:

wk 1: stairs 3 full sections, a bunch of half sections in 27 minutes
wk 2: stairs 5 full sections in 25 minutes; 2 hill repeats in 25:33
wk 3: stairs 11 full sections in 29 minutes; 3 hill repeats in 37 minutes

What will week 4 bring?  It's hard to say, but I do feel my legs getting stronger and my breathing getting easier.

But the real highlight for me today was the older man who lives in the neighborhood struggling in his walk up the hill.  I passed him at one point and on my way down, we made eye contact.  I gave him a thumbs up and he gave me a big smile.  That and poetry are always a good way to start the day.

No comments: