Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Hills are just speedwork in disguise

That's the .sig line for someone on the Runner's World forums. I'm beginning to believe it may true after this morning's run.

Today was a 2 mile Heartbreak Hill run and my goal is to do that run in 25 minutes (remember the mantra? It's 13 up, 12 down). Today I did it in 25:04 - just 4 seconds off my goal. Last time I did that specific run I was almost a full minute off (25:58). Part of me wonders: is it the hill or is it the music?

Given the difference is funk vs. driving rock, I think it's the hillwork.

I have to admit I was a bit frustrated that, because of back-to-school shopping and everything else, I didn't get a chance to run yesterday... not even with the scary, crazy military guy. So I decided I'm going to run tomorrow as well. I'll be so happy when school starts and I'll have my regular groove back. Of course, if I want to keep running on the hill, I still have to get up early to do that route. I'm also going to have to look into doing some treadmill running when the temperature starts dipping below freezing.

Yes, I know running outside no matter what the weather is supposed to be a million, billion, trillion, zillion times better than inside on a treadmill - but I know me well enough to know that I'm probably not going to run outside if it's below freezing. Since I know that truth about me, then I'm going to have to find a nearby gym with a treadmill and weights so, come the spring, I'll be able to pick up where the fall leaves off.

Did I just say that? I'm looking forward to doing this in the spring. At some point, the idea that I am a runner edged it's way in from the outer reaches of my psyche. How strange....

1 comment:

Nini said...

Oh, Karlsie... there is NOTHING better than running in the weather!!! But I have to be honest... it took me a while to realize that, and I have spent many beautiful days on the TM for lack of a desire to go outside...

Anyway... get yourself some winter running gear "just in case" the spirt moves you ;)