Monday, October 16, 2006

Hotdog Running

There's an old joke about how the Buddhist monk approaches a hotdog vendor and says, "Make me one with everything..."

This weekend I thought a lot about my running. I obviously have some goals - such as a 10 minute mile (which is written on a star stickie and hangs over my computer as a constant reminder) and, once the 10K distance becomes as comfortable as the 5K distance, to train for a half.

So how does that happen? Obviously part of it is running more, training smarter and working on basics. Another part is cross training and, now that the indoor pool is open at the high school, I'll probably start swimming again a couple of nights a week.

But I also want to be more flexible, more able to stretch my body as I push my limits and it seems the best way to do that is to try yoga. Since I'm not going to make time to go to a regular class, I figured I'd pick up a DVD or something I can do in the privacy of my living room... literally. I was in the neighborhood of Newbury Comics and decided to swing by and see what they had in the used DVD bin and hit paydirt.

In there was a series of Baron Baptiste Power Yoga DVDs - including Yoga for Athletes - for $4 each. I immediately called Nini to see if she wanted any and ended up buying the five on the shelf. Most of them will be living with Nini, but I figure on keeping the one for Athletes and maybe one other beginner one so I can mix them up a little.

So I'll give this a try and see if it helps.

No comments: