Saturday, December 09, 2006

Baby it's cold outside

I have to admit that I never thought I'd be able to run in the cold - but this week has taught me differently.

Today I went out for a 5k run in balmy 38* temps. It was hard getting myself dressed and out the door. I reasoned I did a half hour of yoga and it was cold out. But it wasn't as cold as yesterday. Mr. Bear pushed a bit too reminding me it gets dark earlier these days and I needed to get out before it got dark.

I finally headed out around 2:30 and set the iPod for a 5k run and loaded up a 140 BPM podrunner mix. It's funny, in spite of one of my better 5k times, my pace wasn't as even as it normally is - today's looked a little more roller coaster like when the Nike site plotted the time and distances.

One thing I did notice was that being a shade dehydrated can make a huge difference in your run. My legs felt tighter. I was truly aware of making them work today. My mouth was dry the whole time and felt like I had cotton in the corners. Not exactly a pleasant feeling. I'm glad it was a short run today.

Wow... 5k is a short run. An easy 3 so to speak - I really have come a ways haven't I? Tomorrow is my long run day and I'm planning on a 6 mile run. I haven't decided if I'll go over to the Marsh Post and do Paulie's course but throw in an extra loop somewhere (that's what all those mapping sites are for... right?), over to Heartbreak or along the Charles someplace. I'll figure that out later tonight.

No comments: