Friday, December 08, 2006

The Red Queen's Race

It is currently in the mid-20's here in the Boston area and there's a fierce wind kicking up every so often. But I was having a Red Queen's race week (you know - where you have to run hard to stay in place). Between meetings and errands and getting kids here and there and going to workshops and... well, you get the picture.

This mean Wednesday's run didn't happen. There was so much to do and at least I got my yoga in. Then Thursday was the first chance I've had to crash. So now it's Friday and I've missed two runs. It's cold and windy and I've never run in the winter before.

But I had to go. I knew if I didn't, then I'd be indoors and all the good I've done so far would start to melt. So I pulled on my running tights and compression shirt, shorts and fleece pullover and then zipped my vest over the whole thing. I had a fleece headband around my neck and over my mouth and nose, hat and gloves and set out the door for my four mile run.

A half mile in, the headband was off my nose and mouth. A couple of miles in, the vest was partially unzipped - although when the wind kicked back up, I zipped it again.

I ran and I ran, my feet moving to the steady beat as I did so until the Nike voice told me I had 400 meters to go near the path entrance. I ran past the entrance, touched a tree and ran back just as I got the "congratulations" message for running my 4 miles.

I walked in the door of my house and peeled off the vest - which was soaked with my sweat, as was my fleecy.

I realized I probably could have kept running... it was one of those kinds of runs - but I'm still in a Red Queen's race with too much to be done and no time to do it in. But I got 4 good miles in and tomorrow I'll get my 2-3 miler in that I missed as well this week. It's supposed to warm up tomorrow - it will be strange going out without the layers, but at least now I know I can do it.

No comments: