Sunday, January 14, 2007

Back on Track

My race is in 41 days and I set up a training schedule for myself based on that reality. So, in looking over Hal's plan, today is a 5 mile run and the last time I ran 5 miles was in early December... so I was a little nervous, but anxious to get running again as well.

Then I awoke to rain and cold. I knew I had to run and was mentally steeling myself to do so when Mr. Bear suggested he drop me at the health club while he went to church and he'd pick me up aftwards. That worked for me - even if it meant running 5 miles on a treadmill (ugh!).

The point of today was to remind myself I could run and that five miles was a doable distance. I wasn't out to break records or anything like that, I was out to do 5 miles, and I did. I never let myself go below 3.5 miles/hr for walking time and I pushed myself to try some "fartleks" at a 10 min/mile pace.

Lessons I learned today:

- There are few things in life more humbling than watching yourself run on a treadmill in front of a full length mirror. I'm not sure which sadistic bastard thought of that, but it was pretty freakin' twisted.

- When you spray the equipment with disinfectant and wipe it down after using it in a health club - do folks a favor and point it AWAY from them. Because the woman on the ellipitical next to the treadmill sprayed across the elliptical towards me, I got nailed with the spray... as did my water bottle. (Guess that's going in the dishwasher tonight... grrrr!)

- My lungs can handle 5 miles now. No coughing, hacking up crud or anything like that. They're clear again. Hooray!

- My legs are still a little weak and I walked more than I would have liked; however, they lasted the full 5 miles and that's a good thing.

On tap for this week:

Monday: Yoga & strength work
Tuesday: 3.5 mile run
Wednesday: 2 mile run, yoga & light weight work
Thursday: 3.5 mile run
Fri: Yoga & trainer
Sat: rest

2 comments:

GB said...

Good job on the run today. Treadmills are atrocious, but they work in a pinch. You did it!!!

Anonymous said...

Your will, and your determination to stick with your training, is inspiring.

I don't have a full-length mirror in my house, and I'm sure I'm happier because of it. :)