Thursday, July 13, 2006

Calm before the storm

Today I ran a mile in the oppressive humidity and darkness before the storm. This is part of the same system I got caught in yesterday after I walked to the supermarket to pick up a few things for dinner. I was originally going to go 1.5-2 miles today, but then I realized I want to be able to run a mile consistently with my body ready to go the next step. As it is right now, I seem to be around the 13 minute mark on the trail now, so if I can do that a few more times and just let my body guide me, I'll be fine.

Yesterday I was going to wait until the afternoon to run with my son. Yes, Mr. Pi is going to give it another try based on an ad for Morgan Spurlock's show "30 Days." Spurlock has that whole thing going about can 30 days change your life? Of course his biggest claim to fame is "Supersize Me" when he ate nothing but McDonald's food for 30 day. While his film was slightly propagandist (slightly? OK - pretty much a propaganda piece), his premise is an interesting one and the TV show has been interesting as well.

So what I proposed to Pi was simple: for 30 days all you're going to do is go out for a half mile and run for a minute and walk for a minute for the entire half mile. That's it. We'll see how long it takes you each day and if that time improves or if you want to run for more than a minute or walk for shorter times. Just 30 days of doing that and we'll see where you are.

He did it the other day and yesterday he walked to the supermarket and back with me. Today it looks like he'll be doing it in the pouring rain.

Beyond that I go to the doctor today for my physical. I'll figure out why I seem to be permanently stuck at this weight in spite of exercise and a fairly healthy diet. If the guy in GNC was right and it's my thyroid, I'll feel kind of ... stupid? relieved? scared? I'm not sure. I suppose relieved to find an answer, stuipd I didn't think of it before and scared at my body doing what it's doing.

At any rate, I'm off to shower and get ready to be poked, prodded and such.

No comments: