Saturday, July 01, 2006

Let me roll it to you

One of the things I've been doing to supplement the running is using one of those balance balls. I like the idea of "stabilizing my core" - in other words, focusing on strengthening and aligning my abdominal muscles.

Mostly I like the stretching - and most of it feels like stretching. The one thing I discovered that makes a HUGE difference is using a yoga sticky mat to keep the ball from rolling all over the place when I'm trying to do stuff.

I bought a copy of the GAIAM "Balance Ball for Weight Loss" video (OK, the "weight loss" portion is really just a lecture on how to eat healthy and the reminder you need to burn more than you take in to lose weight ... duh!) But I didn't buy it for that, I bought it because it seemed to be a good intro program, which it is.


I just took out a couple of more DVDs from the library - "Balance Ball for Dummies" and "Stott Pilates" balance ball series - that way, I can see if they're any good and pick them up so I can mix them up every so often. I'll watch one today and one tomorrow and let you know what I think.

What really is nice about the ball is that it's gentle. Sometimes you just need something that doesn't feel like it's a chore or work so you can relax while still doing what you need to do.

So, before anyone gets up (it is Saturday morning after all), I think I'll go roll around for a little bit and then go for my run.

The 5K is one week from tomorrow and I'm still only doing the 2.1 mile loop on the trail in what feels like forever. Starting tomorrow I'm adding the last 1 mile loop so that I'll have a realistic time frame.

No comments: